Q) I filed my federal return back in January 2022. I have not received a refund or information as to why it’s taking so long.
A) I understand your frustration. It’s not unusual for tax refunds to take a few weeks to process, but it’s been over 4 months since you filed your return. There are a few things that could be causing the delay.
- Your return may have been flagged for review. The IRS may have flagged your return for review if it contains any errors or if you claimed any unusual deductions or credits.
- The IRS may be experiencing delays due to the pandemic. The IRS has been dealing with a backlog of tax returns since the start of the pandemic.
- You may have provided incorrect information on your return. If you made a mistake on your return, it could delay the processing of your refund.
If you haven’t received your refund yet, you can check the status of your return online or by calling the IRS.
Here are the steps on how to check the status of your federal tax return:
- Go to the IRS website.
- Click on the “Where’s My Refund?” link.
- Enter your Social Security number and filing status.
- Click on the “Submit” button.
The IRS will provide you with the status of your refund. If your refund is still processing, you can check back again later.
If you’ve checked the status of your return and it still says “processing,” you can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. The IRS will be able to tell you more about the status of your refund and why it’s taking so long.
I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.