Find your local Federal and State Tax Office here! Not a government website.

What can I do if someone has filed a tax return using my social security number?

Tax_questionQ) What can I do if someone has filed a tax return using my social security number?

A) According to the IRS: The IRS has security measures in place to verify the accuracy of tax returns and the validity of social security numbers submitted.

  • If you receive a notice from the IRS that leads you to believe someone may have used your social security number fraudulently, please notify the IRS immediately by responding to the name and number printed on the notice or letter.
  • If you are an actual or potential victim of identity theft and would like the IRS to mark your account to identify any questionable activity, please complete Form 14039, Identify Theft Affidavit available on  The form should be mailed or faxed to the address or fax number listed on the notice.
  • You may also contact the IRS’s Identity Protection Specialized Unit (IPSU) at 800-908-4490.  IPSU employees are available to answer questions about identity theft and resolve any tax account issues that resulted from identity theft.
  • Review Publication 4535Identity Theft Prevention and Victim Assistance, for awareness on this issue. It is available in both English and Spanish.
  • You can contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Identity Theft Hotline toll-free at 877-438-4338 if you suspect someone else is using your social security number, or to secure information on how to prevent identity theft.

Also See Find out if some one has cashed my check


Filed Under: IRS

2 Responses to What can I do if someone has filed a tax return using my social security number?

Leave a reply

329 Responses to Click to Tell Us Your Experience At Your Local Tax Office

Leave a reply

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming is a private website not a government website. If you have questions on your taxes it is always best to consult with a certified tax accountant in your state. The Tax Relief Helpline is NOT A State Government or IRS service and is not affiliated with