Find your local Federal and State Tax Office here! Not a government website.

Do I need to change my maiden name on my Social Security card to file jointly?

Tax_questionQ) Do I need to change my maiden name on my Social Security card to file jointly? A) According to the IRS: No. You can still file “Married Filing Jointly” without changing your name with the Social Security Administration.

  • Make sure that the name shown on your Social Security card matches the name you use on your tax return.
  • If you haven’t changed your name with the Social Security Administration you will need to show your maiden name on the tax return instead of your married name.
  • For information on changing a name on your Social Security card due to marriage, contact the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213 (TTY 800-325-0778) or visit the Social Security Administration website.


Filed Under: IRS

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.

147 Responses to Click to Tell Us Your Experience At Your Local Tax Office

  1. According to the IRS – Some tax returns take longer to process than others for many reasons, including when a return:

    Includes errors
    Is incomplete
    Is affected by identity theft or fraud
    Includes a claim filed for an Earned Income Tax Credit or an Additional Child Tax Credit. See Q&A below.
    Includes a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, which could take up to 14 weeks to process
    Needs further review in general
    We will contact you by mail when we need more information to process your return.

Leave a reply

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming is a private website not a government website. If you have questions on your taxes it is always best to consult with a certified tax accountant in your state. The Tax Relief Helpline is NOT A State Government or IRS service and is not affiliated with