How do I get the 2017 tax form

Q) I had to revise my sons 2017 tax form and mailed it in. He did get his refund but I did not save the original file. He needs it for school. How do I get the 2017 tax form that he needs to give to his school?
Thank you

A) According to the IRS you can order a 2017 tax transcript: Taxpayers can get two types of transcripts from the IRS:

Tax Return Transcript. A tax return transcript shows most line items including AGI from an original tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as filed, along with any forms and schedules. It doesn’t show changes made after the filing of the original return. This transcript is only available for the current tax year and returns processed during the prior three years. A tax return transcript usually meets the needs of lending institutions offering mortgages and student loans.
Tax Account Transcript. A tax account transcript shows basic data such as return type, marital status, adjusted gross income, taxable income and all payment types. It also shows changes made after the filing of the original return.
To get a transcript, people can:

Order online. Use the ‘Get Transcript ’ tool available on There is a link to it under the red TOOLS bar on the front page. Those who use it must authenticate their identity using the Secure Access process.
Order by phone. The number to call is 800-908-9946.
Order by mail. Complete and send either Form 4506-T or Form 4506T-EZ to the IRS to get one by mail. Use Form 4506-T to request other tax records: tax account transcript, record of account, wage and income and verification of non-filing. These forms are available on the Forms & Pubs page on

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *