Michigan Tax Office Phone Numbers and Information

Michigan Tax Office Phone Numbers and Treasury Information

Treasury Phone Number (517) 373-3200

Assistance is available using TTY through the Michigan Relay Center by calling 1-800-649-3777 or 711. Printed material in an alternate format may be obtained by calling (517) 636-4486.

Mailing Address:
Michigan Department of Treasury
Lansing, Michigan 48922

General Treasury Information
Business Tax Registration
Phone: (517) 636-6925
Fax: (517) 636-4520

Cigarette / Tobacco Tax
Phone: (517) 636-4630
Fax: (517) 636-4631

Frequently Asked Questions relating to Delinquent Accounts.
Michigan Department of Treasury
Collection Division
P. O. Box 30199
Lansing, MI 48909
Phone: (517) 636-5265
Fax: (517) 636-5245

Driver Responsibility Fee Program
Phone: (517) 636-5240

Field Offices
Michigan Department of Treasury Field Offices

(517) 636-5333
Frequently Asked Questions relating to Garnishments.
Serve Garnishments by mailing to:
Michigan Department of Treasury
Third Party Withholding Unit
P.O. Box 30785
Lansing, MI 48909

Garnishments/Levies – Tax Refunds and Magnetic Media
Phone: (517) 636-5333
Fax: (517) 636-5349

Garnishments/Levies – Payroll and Vendor
Phone: (517) 636-5333
Fax: (517) 636-5349

Health Insurance Claims Assessment (HICA) – Account Inquiries
Phone: (517) 636-4450
Fax: (517) 636-4378

Health Insurance Claims Assessment (HICA) – Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) Payment Inquiries
Phone: (517) 636-6925
Fax: (517) 636-4356

Homestead Tax Exemption Credit

IFTA/Motor Carriers
Phone: (517) 636-4580
Fax: (517) 636-4593

Income Tax Information

Income Tax Refund Status
Income Tax Refund Status or use the “Check My Income Tax Info.” Web Site.

Local Government Administration

Michigan Business Tax
Phone: (517) 636-6925

Michigan Education Trust
Phone: (517) 335-4767 or (800) MET-4-KID
Fax: (517) 373-6967

Michigan Gaming Control Board
3062 W. Grand Blvd., L-700
Detroit, MI 48202
Phone: (313) 456-4100
Fax: (313) 456-4200

Michigan Merit Award Program
Phone: (888) 447-2687
Fax: (517) 241-4638

Michigan State Lottery
101 East Hillsdale
P.O. Box 30023
Lansing, MI 48909
Phone: (517) 335-5600
Fax: (517) 335-5685

Motor Fuel, Severance Tax
Phone: (517) 636-4600
Fax: (517) 636-4593

Out-of-State Audit Division Offices
View Out-of-State Audit Division Offices

Principal Residence Exemption

Property Tax

Revenue Sharing
Phone: (517) 373-2697
Fax: (517) 335-3298

Sales, Use and Withholding Taxes
Phone: (517) 636-6925
Fax: (517) 636-4491

Single Business Tax
Phone: (517) 636-6925
Fax: (517) 636-4488

State Tax Commission

State Treasurer
Austin Building
430 W. Allegan Street
Lansing, MI 48922

Student Financial Services
Austin Building
430 West Allegan
Lansing, MI 48922-0001
Phone: (800) 642-5626, Extension 36076
Email: sfs@michigan.gov

Tax Clearance
(517) 636-5260

Tax Compliance Bureau – Audit
(517) 636-4200

Tax Compliance Bureau – Discovery and Tax Enforcement
(517) 636-4120

Discovery and Tax Enforcement
Michigan Dept of Treasury
Attn: Fraud Unit
P.O. Box 30140
Lansing, MI 48909

Email: ReportTaxFraud@Michigan.gov
Telephone: (517) 636-4157
Fax: (517) 636-4156

Taxpayer Advocate
Michigan Department of Treasury
Austin Building
Lansing, MI 48922
Phone: (517) 636-4759

Unclaimed Property
Michigan Department of Treasury
P.O. Box 30756 Lansing, MI 48909
Phone: (517) 636-5320
Fax: (517) 322-5986

  • I would like to report company have 12 employees, but they don’t do w2 or federal tax
    Q) I would like to report a company that have 12 employee but they don’t do w2 or federal tax withdraw or state tax they just pay cash for employee last year the owner they made almost 2 million dollars but they don’t show income tax a lot they rent the atm machines put inside the salon for customer withdraw […]
  • I received a letter 5775 and I want to know what is it about it says it’s not an audit.
    A) Letter 5775 is a notice from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that your tax return has been selected for a review. The letter does not mean that you are being audited, but it does mean that the IRS will be looking at your return more closely. The IRS uses a computer program to select tax returns for review. The […]
  • how much interest income for a single individual can have before it is taxed.
    A) The amount of interest income a single individual can have before it is taxed depends on several factors, including the individual’s tax filing status, their total taxable income, and the type of interest income earned. For tax year 2022, if you’re a single filer, under 65 years of age and your total taxable income is less than $12,950, you […]
  • I need to cancel my 11:30 appointment at the 300 E. Joppa Rd. office
    Q) I need to cancel my 11:30 appointment at the 300 E. Joppa Rd. office for Wednesday March 22.Calling to cancel is impossible. A) If calling to cancel your appointment is impossible, you may need to try alternative methods to cancel your appointment at the 300 E. Joppa Rd. office for Wednesday, March 22. Here are some options you can […]
  • Is social security taxed in Indiana?
    A) Social Security benefits are generally not taxed in Indiana. Indiana is one of the few states that do not tax Social Security benefits. However, other types of retirement income may be subject to state taxes in Indiana, such as pension income, 401(k) withdrawals, and IRA distributions. It is always recommended to consult with a tax professional or use tax […]
  • All employers must file a Form W-2
    Every employer engaged in a trade or business who pays remuneration, including noncash payments of $600 or more for the year (all amounts if any income, social security, or Medicare tax was withheld) for services performed by an employee must file a Form W-2 for each employee (even if the employee is related to the employer) from whom: Income, social […]
  • been calling Where’s My Refund for several weeks
    I been calling the Where’s My Refund for several weeks. Calling 800-829-1040 or 800-829-1954. I filled & mailed our Senior form (married-joint) approx May 26th, 2020. Always the system tells me information is Not available. Mailed the tax forms from Mandan ND to Egden, Utah. I’m afraid the postal service could of Lost our envelope. I know with this Virus […]
  • Been over than 21 days IRS received my return, not gotten my refund, why?
    A) There are several reasons why you may not have received your tax refund yet, even though it has been more than 21 days since the IRS received your return. Here are some common reasons why this might happen: Your return may be under review. If the IRS has identified any errors or discrepancies on your tax return, they may […]
  • Been trying to get “return transcript” for year ended 12/31/15
    Q) Been trying to get “return transcript” for year ended 12/31/15 to apply for financial aid for daughter’s college. Efiled 12/31/15 return in late Feb., recd refund in mid-March. Irs.gov is telling me i) tax year 2015 cannot be ordered and ii) address does not match their records. I’ve been living at same address for 17 years. Should I make […]
  • Business Structures
    When beginning a business, you must decide what form of business entity to establish. Your form of business determines which income tax return form you have to file. The most common forms of business are the sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, and S corporation. A Limited Liability Company (LLC) is a relatively new business structure allowed by state statute.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *