IRS won’t accept last years AGI

A) If the IRS won’t accept last year’s Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) when you’re trying to e-file your current year’s tax return, there could be a few reasons for this issue:

  1. Incorrect AGI: Double-check that the AGI you’re entering is correct. It should match the AGI from your previous year’s tax return exactly. Common mistakes include transposing numbers, omitting a digit, or using the wrong AGI (e.g., you might have used the wrong year’s AGI).
  2. Identity Theft or Fraud: If your identity was stolen, someone may have already filed a tax return using your SSN and provided a different AGI. In such cases, you should contact the IRS to report identity theft and receive guidance on how to file your taxes.
  3. Amended Return: If you filed an amended return for the previous tax year, the AGI on the amended return might be different from the original return. You should use the AGI from the original return in this case.
  4. Marital Status Change: If your marital status changed since the last tax return (e.g., you got married or divorced), the AGI may be different. Make sure you’re using the correct AGI based on your current filing status.
  5. IRS Error: Sometimes, the IRS may make errors when processing tax returns. If you’re certain that your AGI is correct, but the IRS still rejects it, you might need to contact the IRS for assistance.

Here are some steps you can take to resolve the issue:

a. Paper Filing: If you’re unable to e-file due to AGI issues, you can always print your tax return and mail it to the IRS. Be sure to include any required forms and documentation.

b. Retrieve Your AGI: If you don’t have a copy of your previous year’s tax return, you can request a transcript of your tax return from the IRS. This transcript will include your AGI from the prior year. You can request it online at the IRS website or by mail using Form 4506-T.

c. Contact the IRS: If you’ve checked for errors, and the IRS is still rejecting your AGI, you should contact the IRS for assistance. They can help you resolve the issue and provide guidance on how to proceed.

It’s essential to address this issue promptly to avoid any delays in processing your tax return and receiving any refunds or addressing any tax liabilities. If you’re unsure how to proceed or need specific guidance, consider consulting a tax professional or accountant who can assist you in resolving the AGI rejection issue.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *