Find your local Federal and State Tax Office here! Not a government website.

If I file electronically (e-filing), what do I do with my W-2 forms?

Tax_questionQ) If I file electronically (e-filing), what do I do with my W-2 forms?

A) According to the IRS – You will use the information from your Form W-2 (PDF) to complete your tax return. After filing you should retain a copy of the form for your records. When filing electronically:

  • You must provide a copy of the Form W-2 to the authorized IRS e-file provider before the provider sends the electronic return to the IRS.
  • You do not need to send your W-2 forms to the IRS and should keep them in a safe place with a copy of your tax return.
  • Use Form 8453 (PDF), U.S. Individual Income Tax Transmittal for an IRS e-File Return, to submit any paper documents that need to be sent after your return has been accepted electronically.  Do not use this form to send your W-2 forms.

For general information about e-file, refer to Return Preparation and Filing Options.


Sorry, comments are closed for this post.

147 Responses to Click to Tell Us Your Experience At Your Local Tax Office

  1. According to the IRS – Some tax returns take longer to process than others for many reasons, including when a return:

    Includes errors
    Is incomplete
    Is affected by identity theft or fraud
    Includes a claim filed for an Earned Income Tax Credit or an Additional Child Tax Credit. See Q&A below.
    Includes a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, which could take up to 14 weeks to process
    Needs further review in general
    We will contact you by mail when we need more information to process your return.

Leave a reply

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming is a private website not a government website. If you have questions on your taxes it is always best to consult with a certified tax accountant in your state. The Tax Relief Helpline is NOT A State Government or IRS service and is not affiliated with