Q) How do I set up an appointment to come in and talk to someone? I filed my taxes with turbo tax this past year and received a letter saying I need to call a 1-800 number to verify my identity. I have been calling that number for over 6 months still no luck I got to talk to someone one time and they put me on hold then hung up on me. Comment
A) I understand your frustration. It’s not unusual for the IRS to be difficult to reach, but it’s important to keep trying. Here are some tips on how to set up an appointment to come in and talk to someone at the IRS:
- Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. This is the main IRS customer service number. You will likely have to wait on hold for a long time, but eventually you will be able to speak to a representative.
- Ask to speak to a representative who can help you set up an appointment. The representative may be able to set up an appointment for you over the phone, or they may tell you to visit your local IRS office.
- If the representative tells you to visit your local IRS office, call your local IRS office and schedule an appointment. You can find the contact information for your local IRS office on the IRS website.
- Be patient. It can take several weeks to get an appointment with the IRS.
If you’re using TurboTax Online:
- Sign into your TurboTax account (if you aren’t already signed in).
- Once you’re in, type Contact us in the Search bar.
- Select the Contact Us button from the results.
- Select the pencil icon to enter your question and select Let’s talk.