HOME About Us | IRS Taxes E-Filing Self Employment Tax Social Security Fraud Back Taxes Filing An Extension Claiming Dependents Late Penalties Tax Refund Earned Income Tax Credit ASK YOUR TAX QUESTION
A) According to the IRS: Many mistakes are corrected in processing and a letter of explanation is mailed at the time the refund is issued.
If the mistake was not corrected in processing, you need to:
- File an amended or corrected return using Form 1040X (PDF), Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, as soon as possible.
- Include copies of any schedules that have been changed or any Form(s) W-2 (PDF) you did not include.
- If you return the refund check with a letter of explanation, a refund in the correct amount will be issued when the IRS processes the amended return.
- Write “Void” in the endorsement section of the check, and return the check with a letter of explanation to the Service Center where you file your amended return as soon as possible to minimize the interest charges.
- Allow the IRS 8-12 weeks to process the amended return.