How can I correct the spelling of my name with the IRS?

Tax_questionA) To correct the spelling of your name with the IRS, you will need to take the following steps:

  1. Review your tax return: Before contacting the IRS, make sure to review your tax return to verify the correct spelling of your name. This will help to ensure that any corrections are accurate.
  2. Complete Form SS-5: If your name is incorrect on your Social Security card, you will need to complete Form SS-5, “Application for a Social Security Card.” This form can be found on the Social Security Administration website or requested by calling the SSA.
  3. Submit the form to the SSA: Once you have completed Form SS-5, you will need to submit it to the Social Security Administration along with any required documentation, such as a birth certificate or passport.
  4. Notify the IRS: Once the SSA has updated your Social Security card, you will need to notify the IRS of the name change. You can do this by calling the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and informing them of the correction. Alternatively, you can write a letter to the IRS explaining the correction and including a copy of your updated Social Security card.

It’s important to note that any name corrections with the IRS may take several weeks to process, so it’s best to take action as soon as possible to avoid any delays in processing your tax return or receiving any refunds.

Enter the correct information on your tax return.

  • The name on the refund check is spelled the way it appears on your tax return.
  • You can also call the IRS toll-free at 800-829-1040 to correct the spelling of your name over the phone.

Note: Your name on any refund check you may receive will be spelled the way it appears on your tax return.


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *