I lost my refund check. How do I get a new one?

A) If you lost your refund check, you should take the following steps:

  1. Contact the IRS: The first thing you should do is contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and inform them that your refund check has been lost. You can call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-1040 and explain the situation.
  2. Wait for the check to be returned: The IRS will likely wait for the original check to be returned before they issue a new one. This process can take several weeks, so you should be patient.
  3. Request a new check: If the check is not returned after a reasonable amount of time, you can request that the IRS issue a new one. To do this, you will need to fill out Form 3911, “Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund.” This form can be found on the IRS website or requested by calling the IRS.
  4. Check your bank account: If you have already deposited the original check and it has been lost, check your bank account to see if the deposit was successful. If it was, you may need to request a stop payment on the original check before the IRS will issue a new one.

It’s important to act quickly to prevent any potential fraud or misuse of the lost check.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *