Find your local Federal and State Tax Office here! Not a government website.

IRS denied my EITC last year, but I qualify this year, what should I do?

Tax_questionQ) IRS denied my Earned Income Tax Credit  last year, but I qualify this year, what should I do?

A) According to the IRS – If IRS denied or reduced your EITC for any year after 1996 for any reason other than a math or clerical error, you must qualify to claim the credit by meeting all the rules described above and you must attach a completed Form 8862, Information to Claim Earned Income Credit After Disallowanceto your next tax return to claim EITC.

But, do not file Form 8862 if either (1) or (2) below is true.

1. After your EITC was reduced or disallowed in the earlier year:

  • You filed Form 8862 (or other documents) and then IRS allowed, your EITC and
  • IRS did not reduce or disallow your EITC again for any reason other than a math or clerical error.

2. You are taking EITC without a qualifying child and the only reason IRS reduced or disallowed your EITC was because a child listed on Schedule EIC was not your qualifying child.

Also, you cannot claim EITC or use the Form 8862 to claim EITC for:

  • 2 years after IRS made a final determination to reduce or disallow your EITC due to reckless or intentional disregard of the EITC rules, or
  • 10 years after IRS made a final determination to reduce or disallow your EITC due to fraud.


Sorry, comments are closed for this post.

153 Responses to Click to Tell Us Your Experience At Your Local Tax Office

  1. Because the IRS processes the first return it receives, if another person claims your dependent first, the IRS will reject your return. The IRS won’t tell you who claimed your dependent. But if you don’t suspect anyone who could have claimed the dependent, your dependent may be a victim of tax identity theft. You’ll need to take some steps to protect your right to claim the dependent and your refund if you don’t think that the other person was eligible to claim your dependent. First, double check that you meet all of the requirements to claim the dependent.

    The IRS may delay your refund while the IRS looks into the issue, but you should still receive your refund. File a paper return. Note that when you file a paper return, it can take six to eight weeks for the IRS to process. This includes things like birth certificates and proof of identity, but also documents that show that your dependent lived with you at the same address for more than half of the year. This doesn’t mean that you can’t correct the situation. Don’t panic. The most important thing to remember is to prove with proper documentation that you are entitled to claim the dependent. Document your case as the IRS rules for claiming a dependent can get complicated.

Leave a reply

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming is a private website not a government website. If you have questions on your taxes it is always best to consult with a certified tax accountant in your state. The Tax Relief Helpline is NOT A State Government or IRS service and is not affiliated with