I messed up my 2016 federal tax form and asked for assistance

Q) I messed up my 2016 federal tax form and asked for assistance from the local IRS people. They told me to go to a $200-$500 tax adviser. I guess paying too much tax ain’t their concern.

A) I understand your frustration. It can be difficult to get help from the IRS, especially if you are low-income. However, there are a few things you can do to get help without having to pay a tax adviser.

  • Contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS). The TAS is an independent organization within the IRS that helps taxpayers resolve their problems. You can call the TAS at 1-877-777-4778 or visit their website at www.irs.gov/tas.
  • Contact your state’s tax department. Your state may have a program that helps low-income taxpayers file their taxes for free. You can find more information about your state’s program on the IRS website.
  • Use a free tax preparation service. There are a number of free tax preparation services available to low-income taxpayers. You can find a list of these services on the IRS website.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *