I filed an E-1040 with TaxAct, forget to submit Form 8938. I have the 8938 form where do I send it?

Q) I filed an E-1040 with TaxAct. All the figures and computations were correct, so the IRS should have no trouble accepting the filed forms. I did, however, forget to submit Form 8938, which merely indicates how much money I have in a foreign bank. I have the 8938 form, so I just need to know where to send it and whether adding my social security number is sufficient to link it to my 1040 for 2015.

A) If you filed your taxes electronically and forgot to include Form 8938, you should file the form separately with the IRS. You should include your name, address, and Social Security number on the form so that the IRS can match it with your tax return.

You can send Form 8938 to the following address:

Internal Revenue Service Center for International Tax Compliance 2970 Market Street, DP5-513 Philadelphia, PA 19104

It’s a good idea to include a brief cover letter explaining that you are submitting the form late and that you have already filed your tax return. It’s important to note that failure to file Form 8938 when required can result in penalties.

According to the IRS you should not send Form 8938 to the IRS unless it is attached to an annual return or an amended return. You will need to file an amendment to your tax return and add form 8938. https://taxoffices.org/wp-admin/edit-comments.php#comments-form

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *