I filed my taxes on time using TaxACT….the system can’t find my payment or tax record…will it cause a problem?

Q) I filed my taxes on time using TaxACT. I also paid part of what I owe using the IRS Payment system. I went to make more payments and the system can’t find my payment or tax record. I do not recall seeing a declined message for my federal return. If I submit it again online with e-file and pay the balance, will it cause a problem or should I get help

A) If you submitted your tax return on time and paid part of what you owe, you should not have to file it again. If the IRS Payment system is unable to find your payment or tax record, you should contact the IRS for assistance. You can contact the IRS by phone at 1-800-829-1040 or by visiting their website at www.irs.gov.

When you contact the IRS, be sure to have your tax return information ready, including your Social Security number, filing status, and the amount of tax you owe. The IRS representative will be able to help you resolve the issue and make sure that your payment is applied to your account correctly.

Filing your tax return twice could cause problems, such as:

  • Duplicate tax returns could delay your refund or cause you to owe more money in taxes.
  • Duplicate tax returns could trigger an audit by the IRS.
  • Duplicate tax returns could make it difficult to track your tax history.

It is best to contact the IRS and resolve the issue with your payment before filing your tax return again.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *