I got a notice that i owe the IRS money from 2008 and I was incarcerated. Who do I talk to about this ?

Tax_questionQ) I got a notice that i owe the IRS money from 2008 and I was incarcerated and never filed my taxes or worked….. Who do I talk to about this ?

A) If you received a notice from the IRS that you owe money from 2008 and you were incarcerated during that time, you should contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS). TAS is an independent organization within the IRS that helps taxpayers resolve their problems with the IRS.

You can contact TAS by phone at 1-877-777-4778 or by visiting their website at https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/.

When you contact TAS, be sure to explain that you were incarcerated during the time period in question. TAS will be able to help you understand your options and develop a plan to resolve your tax debt.

Here are some additional tips for dealing with the IRS if you have been incarcerated:

  • Be patient. It may take some time for the IRS to process your case.
  • Be persistent. Don’t give up if you don’t get the results you want right away.
  • Be organized. Keep track of all of your correspondence with the IRS.
  • Be respectful. The IRS employees are just doing their job.

If you have been incarcerated and you owe the IRS money, don’t despair. TAS can help you resolve your tax debt and get back on your feet.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *