Find your local Federal and State Tax Office here! Not a government website.

I claim my daughter as a dependent, she is in college can she claim her own personal exemption.

Tax_questionQ) I claim my daughter as a dependent, she is in college can she claim her own personal exemption.

A) According the IRS; If you can claim an exemption for your daughter as a dependent on your income tax return, she cannot claim her own personal exemption on her income tax return.

  • If an individual is filing his or her own tax return, and the individual can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return, the individual cannot claim his or her own personal exemption.
  • In this case, your daughter should check the box on her return indicating that someone else can claim her as a dependent.

Additional Information:

Category: Filing Requirements, Status, Dependents, Exemptions 
Subcategory: Dependents & Exemptions 


Sorry, comments are closed for this post.

309 Responses to Click to Tell Us Your Experience At Your Local Tax Office

  1. Acceptable Documents for Identity Verification
    State identification (ID) card.
    Driver license.
    US passport or passport card.
    US military card (front and back)
    Military dependent’s ID card (front and back)
    Permanent Resident Card.
    Certificate of Citizenship.
    Certificate of Naturalization.

Leave a reply

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming is a private website not a government website. If you have questions on your taxes it is always best to consult with a certified tax accountant in your state. The Tax Relief Helpline is NOT A State Government or IRS service and is not affiliated with