What can I do if someone has filed a tax return using my social security number?

Tax_questionA) If you suspect that someone has filed a tax return using your social security number, it is important to take immediate action to protect your identity and your finances. Here are some steps you can take:

  1. Contact the IRS: Call the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 1-800-908-4490 and let them know that you suspect someone has filed a tax return using your social security number. They will guide you through the next steps.
  2. File a police report: Contact your local police department and file a report about the identity theft. Make sure to keep a copy of the police report for your records.
  3. Put a fraud alert on your credit report: Contact one of the three credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion) and request that a fraud alert be placed on your credit report. This will notify potential creditors that they should take extra precautions to verify your identity before extending credit in your name.
  4. Check your credit report: Request a copy of your credit report from each of the three credit reporting agencies and review them carefully for any unauthorized accounts or transactions.
  5. Consider a credit freeze: You can also consider placing a credit freeze on your credit reports to prevent anyone from opening new accounts in your name.
  6. Be vigilant: Keep an eye on your financial accounts and transactions, and report any suspicious activity to the appropriate financial institution.
  7. Keep records: Keep detailed records of all of your communications with the IRS, credit reporting agencies, and financial institutions, as well as any expenses you incur as a result of the identity theft. These records may be helpful if you need to prove your case in the future.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *