Find your local Federal and State Tax Office here! Not a government website.

Should I notify the IRS if I changed my address?

Tax_questionQ) Should I notify the IRS if I changed my address?

A) Yes, if you move, you should notify the IRS of your new address. We need to change our records so that any tax refunds due to you or any other IRS communications will reach you in a timely manner.  If you filed a joint return, you should provide the same information and signatures for both spouses. If you filed a joint return and you and/or your spouse have since established separate residences, you both should notify the IRS of your new addresses.

There are several ways to notify the IRS of an address change:

  • Tax Return: Update your address in the appropriate boxes on your tax return;
  • Submit a Form: Form 8822 (PDF), Change of Address, and/or Form 8822-B (PDF), Change of Address – Business;
  • Written Notification: Mail a signed written statement to an appropriate Service address informing the Service that you wish that the address of record be changed to a new address.  Generally, the appropriate Service address is the campus where you filed your last return.  In addition to the new address, this notification must contain your full name and old address as well as your social security number, individual taxpayer identification number, or employer identification number;
  • Oral Notification: Provide an oral statement in person or directly via telephone to a Service employee who has access to the Service Master File informing the Service employee of the address change. In addition to the new address, you must provide your full name and old address as well as your social security number, individual taxpayer identification number, or employee identification number;
  • Electronic Notification: Many taxpayers may submit their new address information through one of the secure applications found on the IRS website, such as Where’s My Refund?.  In addition to the new address, you must also provide your social security number, individual taxpayer identification number, or employer identification number, as well as any additional information requested by the specific application. You cannot notify the IRS of an address change through other forms of electronic notification, such as electronic mail sent to an IRS email address.

Note: The IRS may also update your address of record based on any new address you provide to the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) that the USPS retains in its National Change of Address (NCOA) database.  However, even if you notify USPS of your new address, you should still notify the IRS directly.  Because not all post offices forward government checks, notifying the post office that services your old address ensures that your mail will be forwarded, but not necessarily your refund check.

Filed Under: IRS

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.

153 Responses to Click to Tell Us Your Experience At Your Local Tax Office

  1. Because the IRS processes the first return it receives, if another person claims your dependent first, the IRS will reject your return. The IRS won’t tell you who claimed your dependent. But if you don’t suspect anyone who could have claimed the dependent, your dependent may be a victim of tax identity theft. You’ll need to take some steps to protect your right to claim the dependent and your refund if you don’t think that the other person was eligible to claim your dependent. First, double check that you meet all of the requirements to claim the dependent.

    The IRS may delay your refund while the IRS looks into the issue, but you should still receive your refund. File a paper return. Note that when you file a paper return, it can take six to eight weeks for the IRS to process. This includes things like birth certificates and proof of identity, but also documents that show that your dependent lived with you at the same address for more than half of the year. This doesn’t mean that you can’t correct the situation. Don’t panic. The most important thing to remember is to prove with proper documentation that you are entitled to claim the dependent. Document your case as the IRS rules for claiming a dependent can get complicated.

Leave a reply

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming is a private website not a government website. If you have questions on your taxes it is always best to consult with a certified tax accountant in your state. The Tax Relief Helpline is NOT A State Government or IRS service and is not affiliated with