Q) Been trying to get “return transcript” for year ended 12/31/15 to apply for financial aid for daughter’s college. Efiled 12/31/15 return in late Feb., recd refund in mid-March. Irs.gov is telling me i) tax year 2015 cannot be ordered and ii) address does not match their records. I’ve been living at same address for 17 years. Should I make appt at tax office? If so, will I be able to leave their with the “return transcript”. Have time constraints to get info to financial aid office. Thank you.
A) Recommend that you make an appointment to visit your local IRS office for assistance. You can also request a transcripts online, go to IRS.gov
I understand that you are trying to get a return transcript for 2015 to apply for financial aid for your daughter’s college. You have been living at the same address for 17 years, but the IRS website is telling you that your address does not match their records. You are also having trouble ordering a return transcript online.
I would recommend making an appointment at a local IRS office. You can find a list of IRS offices near you here: https://www.irs.gov/help/contact-your-local-irs-office.
When you make an appointment, be sure to bring the following documents with you:
- Your name
- Your Social Security number
- Your date of birth
- Your current address
- Your previous address (if different)
- Your driver’s license or other government-issued ID
- Your 2015 tax return (if you have it)
The IRS representative will be able to help you get a return transcript for 2015. You should be able to leave the IRS office with the return transcript in hand.
Here are some additional tips for getting a return transcript from the IRS:
- Be prepared to wait. The IRS is often busy, and it may take some time to get an appointment.
- Be patient. The IRS representative may need some time to process your request.
- Be clear and concise when explaining your request.
- Be respectful of the IRS representative. They are just doing their job.
I hope this helps!