Q) I am a victim of irs tax fraud and identity theft. Some to whom I have no clue has filled my income tax 2021,without my knowledge and also, I never received my 2020 taxes either and I had ordered 2 irs transcripts for 2020 and 2021 and it’s stating that there’s no record of me filing any taxes at all and I can’t get in contact with no one and have been trying for weeks
A) If you believe that you are a victim of IRS tax fraud and identity theft, it is important to take immediate action. Here are some steps you can take:
- File an identity theft affidavit (Form 14039) with the IRS.
- Contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and file a complaint about identity theft.
- Place a fraud alert with one of the three credit bureaus: Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion.
- Report the crime to your local police department.
- Contact your financial institutions and close any accounts that may have been opened in your name without your permission.
You may also want to consider working with a tax professional who can assist you in navigating the process and resolving the issue.